Nowadays, you can perform every task online from communicating, purchasing, working, etc. And passwords are the key to access your online identity. Like you have to use secure lock on your house or doors, you’ve to use hard to hack password for online security.
Follow the tips and tricks to make a strong and secure password.
Tips to Make Secure Password
- Select a password that is harder to guess: Don’t use a name, date of birth or common dictionary word as a password. Also, avoid using nicknames or pet names as password. Make password hard enough so other people can’t guess it.
- Don’t use common passwords: Many times people use common passwords. For e.g., password123, iloveyou123, pizza1, etc. Don’t make such mistake. Such easy passwords can be easily cracked with hacking software.
- Make long password: It is recommended to make at least ten characters long password. But passwords should not be too lengthy, as it will be hard to remember and type as well.
- Don’t use the same password for different accounts: You should make a different password for the different account. If you use the same password across accounts, a hacker can gain access to all your accounts with a single password. By using multiple passwords, your other account will remain secure even if one account get compromised.
- Use different characters: You should mix alphabets and characters. It is also highly recommended to use special characters and along with small and capital letters. For, e.g., mYk!d$ar3awes0m3, this password is far more secure than just plain password: ‘mykidsareawesome’.
- Make a formula to remember: You can make the certain formula to remember passwords easily.
Keep your Password Secure
Only creating a secure password is not enough, you’ve to keep them safe. Here is how to maintain passwords.
- Don’t share it: Do not share the password with anyone. Companies or services will not ask you for password except for login. So if you get email or message asking password, don’t give your password. There are many phishing scams to hack people, don’t fall for it.
- Change password regularly: Remember ‘Passwords are like underwear’, you should change them often (Though you don’t need to change password every day, once in a few month)
- Password recovery options: Keep your password recovery options up to date. Many times people changed the phone number or email address and forgot to update in their old accounts.
- Use two-factor authentication(2FA): By enabling two-factor authentication, you add an extra layer of security to your account. On 2FA enabled account, password only is not sufficient to access account; an additional verification code is required to login from unknown device or locations.
- Password management service: If you find it’s hard to remember so many passwords for so many accounts, you can use password management service like LastPass password manager. After using such service, you don’t need to worry about memorizing passwords, all you need to remember is the master password.